Sunday, December 20, 2009

Kuno - London Police Service

Kuno is a K9 Police Officer for the London Police Service, here in London, Ontario, Canada.
Kuno is a four year old German Shepherd. His co-officer Paul had brought him to some city owned property near the Thames River to give him some exercise. I had been on my way home after checking out a car wash where I may end up doing a shoot.

I like people who help. Following this K9 Cruiser on my way home, the thought occured to me, how unique it is that there are animals that also help in many areas of our society. Probably the most well known animals that help, are the seeing eye dogs. Most of us have seen these dogs helping improve the daily life of people who live and work without their own eye-sight.

I would like to thank the London Police Service and these two officers, human and canine, for the good work they do.
A sincere thank you to both of you.

I know that police work under the most difficult situations in our world. All too often, these dedicated ladies and gentlemen, in the course of their duties, while helping people like me and my children, end up being injured or assaulted. Or being murdered, or injured to the point of death.

Police work can be very dangerous and unpredictable. These people do a job that, honestly, I am not willing, or capable of doing.

It is not a perfect world. There are problems.
Yes, there are situations where things go wrong. Situations where somebody, police or not, where a person ends up dead.

It is too easy to criticise, or point fault, at the police.

As a citizen of this wonderful country, I have a number of obligations and responsibilities.
At the top of that list is my obligation to recognise that respect is requiredto those who have earned.
I know that it is not a perfect world. I know that Robert Dziekanski died. I understand that.
Just because things sometimes go awry. Just because there may be a few bad apples in the basket, we still owe our respect to the police that serve to protect us. To help us.

I really enjoyed my impromtu photoshoot with these two fine London Police officers.
One final comment, both of these officers will be working Christmas Day.

Thank you.

No comments: